GAPIO is a non-profit organization established in 2011. Padma Vibhushan, Dr. Prathap C Reddy, Chairman of Apollo Hospitals Group is the Founder President of GAPIO along with Dr. Sanku Rao – Past President of AAPI, USA and Dr. Ramesh Mehta – President of BAPIO, UK.
The aim of the organization is to bring together 1.4 million physicians of Indian origin in the world on one professional platform. This substantial workforce of physicians is a valuable resource, which can help to mobilize significant developments in healthcare globally as well as in India.
GAPIO has a presence in 45 countries. GAPIO members belong to various medical specialities and super specialities which includes several Padma awardees, twenty Dr. B C Roy Awardees, recipients of National and International awards. GAPIO has held 10 annual conferences in India and has held 9 midyear conferences overseas since 2011.
There are also significant number of Indian Physicians working in Middle East, South East Asia and Africa. This substantial workforce of physicians is a valuable resource, which can help to mobilize significant developments in the health field globally. This strong Diaspora of Indian doctors who are highly respected and powerful, need a common professional platform.
There is a need for greater visibility and cohesion of these physicians. Their combined intellectual and technical strength can also be a vital force in the development of the Indian healthcare sector. It is with these objectives that Global Association of Physicians of Indian Origin (GAPIO) has been formed. This body will have representation from all the countries where physicians of Indian origin are settled.
GAPIO is a nonprofit organization and its vision is "Improving Health Worldwide". GAPIO stands to empower physicians of Indian origin to achieve highest professional standards, to provide affordable good quality healthcare, to contribute to local and regional community development and thereby help to reduce health inequalities and alleviate suffering globally.
The Vision Behind GAPIO
Improving Health Worldwide........
Our Mission - GAPIO
To provide affordable good quality healthcare
To contribute to local and regional community development
and thereby help to reduce health inequalities and alleviate suffering globally
Our Goals and Objectives - GAPIO
- To provide an international forum for physicians of Indian origin
- To participate in global health agendas by liaising with organizations in the public, private and voluntary sectors to identify barriers and opportunities to improve policies and practices and availability and distribution of resources to impact on improving health.
- To promote initiatives that empowers individual physician to achieve professional excellence.
- To liaise with appropriate statutory and registering bodies internationally for recognition of qualifications and experience of Indian physicians and access to equal rights in their career.
- To promote greater understanding of challenges faced in addressing a range of healthcare issues, and strive for ensuring safe and affordable services.
- To actively contribute towards medical education, training and research.
- To encourage its members to support social and cultural organisations in promoting better health awareness amongst the local communities.
- To facilitate professional networks to develop academic and clinical initiatives for mutual knowledge sharing.
- To offer support and encouragement to statutory and non-statutory institutions so as to further the aims of GAPIO.